First let me start off by saying that this is not really a review, but I came up with this recipe a while ago after I had eaten a Mexican pizza from Taco Bell, and I wanted to share it with everyone. I thought, hey, I could really come up with something like this to make at home. They turned out really well and everyone in my family raved over them, even my 12 yr old son!
Here is the recipe:
Super Simple Mexican Pizza
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 8 small flour tortillas
- 1 cup oil for cooking
- 1 can refried beans
- 1/3 cup diced tomato
- 1 can enchilada sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- water (as per taco seasoning packet)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook the ground beef and onions over medium heat until brown, then drain.
- Return meat to pan and add taco seasoning and water.
- Let mixture simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add refried beans to meat mixture and let simmer on low heat.
- While meat is cooking prepare flour tortillas for frying.
- Using a fork, pierce both sides of each tortilla, making tiny holes all over the tortillas. This will prevent your tortilla from turning into an air disk while frying.
- Heat oil in frying pan over medium-high heat.
- When oil is hot, fry each tortilla for about 30-45 seconds per side and drain on paper towels.
- Be sure to pop any bubbles that form when frying so that the tortilla lays flat in the oil. Tortillas should become golden brown.
- Stack each pizza by first spreading meat mixture on. Use as much or as little meat as you like.
- Next, sprinkle meat with cheese then add second tortilla.
- Top the second tortilla with 2 tbsp of enchilada sauce.
- Then, divide the tomato, cheese and onions evenly and top tortillas in that order.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.